John R. Orton
Assistant: Cheryl Weiland
John spends most of his time representing people who have suffered a personal injury. John’s practice includes all types of accidents (car, truck, semi, motorcycle, ATV, etc.) and all types of injuries (whiplash, paralysis, traumatic brain injury, broken bones, scarring, etc.). He also handles wrongful death cases, where an accident has caused a death.
John also handles a broad array of general litigation matters. Having practiced for over 35 years, John has handled just about every kind of dispute, from construction disputes, to Will contests, to boundary line disputes, to insurance disputes.
In addition, Attorney Orton has represented and continues to represent several municipalities and individuals in a wide variety of municipal matters such as zoning matters, land use and development matters, annexations and boundary issues, easements and rights-of-way, ordinance drafting and codification, special assessments and condemnation issues.
Primary Areas of Practice:
- Accidents & Personal Injury
- General Litigation
- J.D., Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI, 1981
- Law Review
- B.A., magna cum laude, St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN., 1978
- Oxford University, Oxford, England, 1977
- Wisconsin, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1981
- Frisch, Dudek & Slattery, Ltd. Milwaukee, WI., 1981 – 1984
- Curran, Hollenbeck & Orton, S.C., Mauston, WI., 1984 – Present
- City Attorney, City of Mauston, WI, 1986 – 2009
- Village Attorney, Necedah, WI, 2002 – Present
- Village Attorney, Camp Douglas, WI, 1997 – Present
- Village Attorney, Hustler, WI, 1996 – Present
- Township Attorney, Town of Lyndon, WI, 2000 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Wisconsin Bar Association, 1981 – Present
- Litigation Section, 1981 – Present
- Board of Directors, 1989 – 1992
- Admin & Local Gov. Section, 1999 – Present
- Board of Directors, 2003 – 2010
- Chairman, 2009 – 2010
- Board of Governors, 2013 – 2017
- Executive Committee, 2016-17
- Election Steering Committee, Chairman
- Wisconsin Association for Justice, 1984 – Present
- Wisconsin Judicial Council, 2017- Present
- Vice Chairman, 2019 – Present
- Evidence & Civil Procedure Subcommittee
- Executive Committee
- Litigation Section, 1981 – Present
Significant Cases Handled:
- Dakter v. Cavallino, 2015 WI 67, 363 Wis.2d 738, 866 N.W.2d 656 (Jury instructions in truck accident cases)
- Heitman v. City of Mauston, 226 Wis.2d 542 (Ct. App. 1999) (Direct legislation in Municipal law)
- Hagen V. Labor & Industry Review Com’m, 201 Wis.2d 51 (1996) (Shoulder Injuries in Workers’ Compensation law)
- Betthauser v. Medical Protective Company, 172 Wis.2d 141 (1992) (Statute of Limitations in Medical Malpractice)
- Winslow v. Brown, 125 Wis.2d 327 (Ct.App. 1985) (Tort of civil conspiracy)
- “Jury Instruction Formulation in Negligence Cases,” The Verdict, Fall, 2015
- “Establishing ‘Public’ Highways in Wisconsin,” 2008 Wisconsin Bar, Administrative & Local Gov’t Section Blog.
- “Discovery of On-going Police files under the Open Records Law,” 2004 Wisconsin Bar, Administrative & Local Gov’t Section Blog.
- Review of Rush v Savchuk, 64 Marq. L. Rev. 374, 1981 (US Supreme Court case regarding personal jurisdiction)
- St. Patrick School: Gala Fund Raising Committee, 1999 – Present
- Mauston High School: Athletic Booster Club Founder & Director, 2001-04
- Mauston High School: Music Concert Series Board, 2000 – 2005
- Boys’ Club Basketball Coach, 2002 – 2006
- St. Patrick School Basketball Coach, 2004 – 2007
Peer Review and Awards:
“AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
AVVO Client’s Choice Award – Personal Injury
We can help. Contact us.
Send us an email or give us a call today.
"*" indicates required fields
If you send an email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this e-mail service. The firm may choose not to accept you as a client.
Our lawyers are only a phone call away.